Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Idea Blog X - Transcendence

With my experimentation in lighting techniques I have hoped to enhance the overall mood of my images.  I received an overwhelming positive response to my shots which mix ambient and flash for a dramatic cinematic style of lighting.   However, I don’t believe that I could use that lighting scheme for the ‘Artfic’ landscapes.  The whole scene really needs to be evenly lit for those images to work.  High Dynamic Range has helped me to produce even lighting across the whole scene and develop a surreal feeling to my images. By breathing new life into old objects and making surrealistic landscapes I hope that my images are able to transcend individuals so that they could believe they are witnessing the scenes for themselves.  Ryan McGinley states in relation to photographing the olympic games “But these bursts of competition are also moments of artful levitation and, especially for spectators, of transcendence.[1]”  In other words those who are able to place themselves in the action will come away with more.  To capture something more than just a fleeting moment is the real trick . “A transcendent entity may be conceived of either in theistic terms, as in a particular religious tradition, or in the transcendence of some value or quality of human experience.[2]”  Transcendence is often related with religion; however it is not my intention that these images connect the viewer with God or influence one's beliefs, but more to create for the viewer the same human event that I experienced.

[1] "Up!: A photo essay by Ryan McGinley." New York Times Magazine (2010): 32. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 1 Nov. 2010.

[2]Long, Jonathan. "Spirituality and the Idea of Transcendence." International Journal of Children's Spirituality 5.2 (2000): 147-161. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 1 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment