Monday, November 29, 2010

I have chosen  D L Ennis’ work in relation to my project due to the surreal qualities of his landscapes.   As it happens he was born in Yorktown, Virginia, which is not far from where I grew up.  I also enjoy the fact that he’s not just a photographer, he also writes and plays music.  I think being multifaceted is useful in this day in age.  I’ve been experimenting with video and sound design myself.   I had been thinking of trying to integrate sound and video into my project, but after meeting with Lauren I don’t think it is really important to do this.  The images are good enough on their own without the supplemental material.   Ed Maxim made this commentary “Impressionistic landscape photographers use photographic techniques that result in images that have elusive, surreal qualities. These photographs may seem less tangible and more unreal than other photographs, giving the impression of a landscape rather than the tangible reality of one.[1]”  By his definition I would certainly place some of D L Ennis’ work, as well as some of my own, into this category.  We both use High Dynamic Range techniques that push the boundaries of reality to some degree. I try to keep mine in the middle so it doesn’t call much attention to itself. I think D L Ennis work does this as well.

 [1] Maxim, Ed. "Landscape photography | Visuallens." Visuallens | Just another visual and world for WordPress.com weblog. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Nov. 2010. <http://visuallens.wordpress.com/2007/10/06/landscape-photography/>.

Biography -
About D L Ennis

Art is the quintessence of emotion, civilization, and thought!

D L Ennis is a freelance writer born in Yorktown, Virginia in 1952. Since then he has lived and worked in many places and done many things to make a living. D L worked as a musician until the age of 30 at which time he met his lovely wife, Dawn; they now live with their five dogs in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.              

Music took him all over the United States, parts of Canada, and Mexico. Throughout his years as a musician, he was doing some freelance writing and photography. Since his marriage to Dawn, he has settled down making writing/photography a full time endeavor. D L is published both in print and on-line. 

D L’s photography has been shown all over the world and his work is now in countless private and public galleries and collections. Many of D L’s images have been used in educational materials…software, books, PowerPoint presentations, magazines, etc.

Images -





 all images © D L Ennis

Links
Artist’s Site - http://dlennis.wordpress.com/
Other - http://mydigitalphotographyblog.com/d-l-ennis-one-of-the-best-landscape-photographers/

No comments:

Post a Comment