Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Julika Rudelius Lecture Question/Response

Julika Rudelius Lecture Question/Response

It’s always interesting to me and almost bizarre just how open Europeans are  about sexuality.   At one point she said “am I even allowed to show this stuff in America?”   Whereas I am not closed minded and don’t have real problems with any issues which she addressed, there  probably are people that find it very strange or odd.  A lot of her work in the beginning seemed to touch on human sexuality and voyeurism.  She said that she intentionally shot through the seats with a shaky camera to enhance the looking on of an erotic scene, the men’s wet lips and pink checks she said enhanced this feeling.  For me I didn’t really get that part it was more just disturbing to look on to scene of people talking in such a way that really was degrading to females. She talked a-lot about how she likes to control the situation.  One question that I had was why  the video clips on her website are so short.  She essentially answered this saying she wanted to control where it was showing, how it was shown: many monitors, a single monitor, projection, etc., and on the web she  doesn’t have control over how the viewer engages with her multimedia clips.   At the same time I have to wonder if there is a better way of building interest as after reviewing the website I was left unsure what to think.   After the lecture I had a desire to see the full setup in action.    I think one of the most interesting things that I learned about the artist was her background.  She started at a printing house and worked until she was twenty-six or twenty-seven, then she started doing photography.  I can related to this  since I didn’t make a return to school until 3 years ago  when I was about the same age she was when she started photography.   I definitely found “Trains” to impact me the hardest just because I never would talk about women like those guys were and how I was literally sucked into the location by the method in which it was filmed.  I think the presentation went well besides a few kinks with the technology and the failure of the projector to produce a good dynamic range.

Questions - 
1.  It's hard to grasp much of your concepts from the little snippet loops and short descriptions. Do you have any plans to include more detailed descriptions or more footage?

2.  How does your culture play into your work and how is it received in different cultures?

No comments:

Post a Comment