Thursday, October 28, 2010

Idea Blog IX - Daydreaming

To me the ideas and complexities that the mind takes to when one sleeps are absolutely fascinating.  However, I frequently find my mind drifting off during the day, wondering about the scenes that I have decided to photograph.  I am constantly asking myself what has happened at these scenes in the past and what will happen in the future, which gives me the interesting idea of returning to the locations and photographing them without the objects present, presuming they have left. In relation to actors trying to learn voice control, Kristin  states ““As one learns lines, the Daydreaming Wheel enables access to the unconscious mind while the conscious mind collects data and lays down the tracks of thought and imagery that lie behind the words. This is not "memorization"--it is "learning by heart."  The idea that your are learning and engaging with a scene on a sub-level of the brain, letting the scene cause a reaction which in turn leads to the photography is something that I do with all my shots.   I’ve often been told I have a great sense of composition but truthfully it’s not something I really think about when I am shooting. “When daydreams get powerful enough, when they visit us often enough, we may finally be propelled to act, to get off the couch, out the door, and into the world where we can interact with others and hopefully start turning those visions into reality.[2]”  I feel I am at this point,  reacting to what my mind and eye see in order to create imagery that speaks to others.


[1] Linklater, Kristin. "THE IMPORTANCE OF DAYDREAMING." American Theatre 27.1 (2010):42-126.<http://sfx.library.vcu.edu/vcu?sid=metalib%3AEBSCO_A2H&id=doi%3A&genre=&isbn=&issn=87503255&date=2010&volume=27&issue=1&spage=42&epage=126&aulast=Linklater&aufirst=%20Kristin&auinit=&title=American%20Theatre&atitle=THE%20IMPORTANCE%20OF%20DAYDREAMING.&sici=&__service_type=&pid=%3Cmetalib_doc_number%3E000282592%3C%2Fmetalib_doc_number%3E%3Cmetalib_base_url%3Ehttp%3A%2F%2Fmetalib.vccs.edu%3A80%3C%2Fmetalib_base_url%3E%3Copid%3E%3C%2Fopid%3E>

[2]Fries, Amy. "The Power of Daydreaming | Pyschology Today." Pyschology Today. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Nov. 1982. <www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-daydreaming/201001/how-work-your-daydreams>.

No comments:

Post a Comment