Thursday, October 21, 2010

Idea Blog VIII - Color Theory

Color Theory

Since the beginning of my project I have played around with the idea of whether my images would be better in color or black and white.  After hanging the images in the hallway, I got a variety of reactions.  But overwhelming, the feedback I got suggested that the color image was working very well.  I think that, generally speaking, I am  very aware of the color relationships in my images  and don’t really think of them in black and white very often.  “Unlike painters, most photographers have little if any training in colour theory. This is a pity, since unless one understands the physiological as well as psychological basis of formal colour theory it's hard to understand why some photographs work and some don't, except on a "gut feel" basis [2]. “  Often times I have been in critiques and I hear the words, "I don’t know why, but it just looks good" or just "I like this image," and then the individual fails to be able to go into more depth as to why the image is working.  Of course there is personal taste, but there are some basics we can rely on to draw some conclusions.   I often look for a pop of strong color, such as red or yellow, to draw attention to certain parts of an image.   “Yellow is the brightest colour. It screams for our attention and this is why warning signs are frequently painted this colour. Yellow and yellow-orange also are the dominant colours of autumn and as such have a strong appeal to our emotions. Psychologically, yellow is a colour denoting happiness [2].”  As colors are turning in fall I think it becomes much easier to make a compelling image that impacts human emotion.  Ultimately how you frame and shoot an image is totally a personal choice and you need to find your own aesthetic style.  “How you should, or shouldn’t combine colors is not an easy answer. It depends of course on what you want to achieve [1].”

"Color in photography - Color theory." framed reality: Photography tips, tutorials, theory and inspiration. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2010. <http://www.framedreality.com/color-in-photography-color-theory>.

"Colour Theory." The Luminous Landscape. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2010. <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/colour_theory.shtml>.

No comments:

Post a Comment