Thursday, September 16, 2010

Idea Blog #3 - Personification

Personification

I hope that by showing a collection of found furniture that a sense of personification will be conveyed to the viewer.  To me these objects are very much living and breathing entities.  We can only begin to image what they have witnessed.  I’m sure a lot of us formalized with Pixar movies and the magic they bring to ordinary objects.  David Ristau comments that give normal human stories to fantastical characters and make you love them.  I hope that I can bring people interested to something that goes over looked.  Maybe they would even be prompted to do something with found objects as well and make there own found art.   On continuing my thoughts on my images I had realized my annoyance with the constant lighting setup I was creating.  Now I shoot in many different styles  of lighting.  When I look at the gallery it almost reminds my of work by Andy Warhol.   However unlike Andy Warhol we said “I want to be a machine, and I feel that whatever I do and do machine-like” I do not want my work to seem mechanical” [2], I’ve always been technologically intelligent and been quick to grasp new concepts but that is not the focus of my project.  I don’t want to be a machine I don’t want everything to  look the same.  If anything I stress the importance of finding a workflow and manipulating your work in post-production to amplify what you are trying to say.   However the repetition with settle changes in my digital work is amplified to me when I look at galleries which contain 20 copies of the same image. 

[1]  Ristau, David. "The Daily Discourse: The Amazing Success of Pixar Films - Creating Dreams - The Oxen Group -- Seeking Alpha." Stock Market News, Opinion & Analysis, Investing Ideas -- Seeking Alpha. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2010. <http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/429248-the-oxen-group/76765-the-daily-discourse-the-amazing-success-of-pixar-films-creating-dreams>.

[2] "Pop Art - the art of popular culture." free art lessons - learn how to draw, paint and design. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2010. <http://www.artyfactory.com/art_appreciation/art_movements/pop_art.htm>.

This picture is very literal in it's interpretation of personification but it certainly gives something to an image  that would be otherwise boring.  I hope through the use of light that I can bring life to my my objects in a less literal manor.
Barrett, Conor. "Day 275 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!." Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2010. <http://www.flickr.com/photos/colonelchi/4441966241/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment