Thursday, April 14, 2011

Michael Schunke - Artist Lecture

I went into this lecture without any time to research or familiarize myself with the artist work beforehand. All I knew was that he was a glass blower. Having always admired glass work, I thought it would be a great lecture to attend and I was completely right. I was really blown away by his work! Michael Shunke's work can be described has hand-blown glass with stunning texture and depth. What I found most interesting to learn about Michael was that he said when he is making goblets, he thinks of other things. He talked about having a detachment from the result and letting the art just happen. I think it’s also important to note that he is constantly drawing and working out his ideas. My favorite series of work by him was Tallymakers. I really enjoy the shapes and the attention to detail. It’s really hard for me to imagine him taking the time to hand scribe all the designs with a diamond cutter. I also like the fact that he built the stands and was working with something more than just glass in this series. I really like the idea that every part of an artwork is crafted by the artist. He commented how some people now just design on the computer and then send it off to be produced and how he thought something was lost in the methodology. I think that having a hands-on approach and allowing flaws gives a more humanistic quality, but I am also not quick to put off computers as necessarily bad. I have a strong interest in technology and have put it to use in my work many times. Overall I was really impressed with the lecture and the laid back nature of the artist.


http://michaeljschunke.com
http://www.nineironstudios.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment