Thursday, March 3, 2011

Kathy Rose

Kathy Rose’s works seemed to have a lot of tribal or spiritual qualities to it.   I would describe her work as being performance, mixed with animation, and sound design.  What interested me the most about her work was the involvement of sound and the cultural influences that were evident in her work.  She said that she was influenced by Japanese artists. Kathy said  “Just going into a drug store in Tokyo can change your life around because the designs and art are very different.”  Having been recently in Germany, I instantly related to this.  I probably photographed many things I wouldn’t have cared to photograph back in the United States.  Everything seemed new and exciting and really made me want to expand my work through exposure to other countries.  In relation to her creation process, Kathy had said that every part of a piece tends to be built up together.  She doesn’t necessarily start with a score and make a piece, or have a full choreographed dance ahead of time, or the animation finished.  Each element is mixed with the others until it all comes together in one coherent final project.  I can’t say that any one piece really jumped out at me as being my favorite, but one piece made me think of a question which went unanswered.  In one of her reels there was a sound clip that repetitively said six, six, six.  I immediately began to wonder what her intent was in provoking an anti-religious demonic notation such as this.  I thought that a lot of the sound design was rather dark and wasn’t too shocked by this, but more surprised by the fact that no one asked about it. 

1. You seem to work in many mediums which is your favorite?

The many mediums that appear on her website now make sense to me.  There aren’t many mediums. It’s just a way of displaying her compiled pieces in video or still format.  Her work is a combination of animation, sound, and performance.

2.  What new projects do you have working?

She didn’t really say exactly what she was doing next but commented that one project always leads to the next.  So that the new project in one way shape or form will be related to the previous.

No comments:

Post a Comment