Thursday, January 27, 2011

Interviews

Interviews

Having recently interviewed Harold Ross (http://www.haroldrossfineart.com/),  I realized how important that this could be for my future growth as a photographer.  Not only was  he a very nice guy and I got to learn things about someone I admire, but I was also turned on to many photographers that I didn’t know much about, such-as Wynn Bullock, Arthur Tress, and Minor White. When we were talking about his trip to China, he made a comment about flickr and how there were so many photographers today and it was kind of amazing that my teacher was invited to the same photography conference as he.  I think that networking and engaging with people on a personal level is important for being successful and becoming a better artist. Jörg M Colberg said “The photography aside, there are a lot of other aspects to photography, and most of them have to do with, well, business, or at least with trying to reach other people, to entice them to look at your work. How do you do that?[1].”  Reaching a  greater audience is ultimately what we want to do as artists.  I think that’s why it’s going to be fun to be on the marketing panel for senior portfolio, as long as the team is willing to work together and make things happen.  In the interview with Harold we touched on social marketing as well, and he pretty much said it’s fine and well, but I don’t have much time for it.   I understand that as I have a hard time doing a personal blog while having to keep several for school.  One argument that Colberg presents is that a website and email are very important because “The combination of email plus a website is the digital equivalent of a print portfolio, a set of business cards, and a telephone.”  However he says you don’t have to utilize every single form of social networking. If they don’t work to your advantage you are better off not having them [1].  Everything is a tool, so if you're not able to do everything well, you are better off just doing a few things really well, rather than doing several things poorly.


"Conscientious Extended | Photographers and Social Networking." Jörg M Colberg. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2011. <http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/extended/archives/photographers_and_social_netwo

No comments:

Post a Comment